Wednesday, February 25, 2009

there are those who love to get dirty.

in english class on monday we read this poem; we do that a lot, read poems in english. but the second we finished i was stunned. i mean jaw-dropping, speechlessly stunned. i don't think there has ever been anything that has described me so exactly. weirder yet, it was written thirty-some years before i was born. and then it hit me: on page 516 was this poem made for me. on page 516, the date of my birth, there it was, for me.

"There are those
who love to get dirty"

There are those who love to get dirty
and fix things.
They drink coffee at dawn,
beer after work,

And those who stay clean,
just appreciate things,
At breakfast they have milk
and juice at night.

There are those who do both,
they drink tea.

-Gary Snyder

No comments:

Post a Comment